Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Creative Space - E is for Elephant

I have always wanted to make a soft toy and Cotton Kiwi's sock monkey tutorial has been on my 'to do' list for a while, but this week I was inspired by a gorgeous book I stumbled upon in the library, 'Sock and Glove' by Miyako Kanamori. There are instructions for all kinds of animals but I had to make the elephant, I thought the trunk and crinkly ears were so clever.

It took a bit longer than I expected as my handsewing is not quick, but it was like a book I couldn't put down and the only tricky bit was attaching the ears. Apparently the body was a good enough toy all by itself as it was kidnapped for a while...

I had a little teddy bear t-shirt that happened to fit so of course I had to do a mini-version of my alphabet tees (it looked so cute on the sewing machine that I had to stop and take a photo!). My daughter had decided it was a girl, and called 'Elephant' (of course), but when she saw the shirt she told me it was 'not e for elephant, e for Eeyore'.

The drawstring pants are from a pattern in the book, I should have fitted them before sewing because they came out as hipsters (I used a really big sock), but they are still functional, complete with hole for the tail.

I love this book and I must admit my first instinct was to copy the whole thing before I returned it to the library, but then I figured if I don't believe in ripping off music or movies, I should also  support a really clever crafter - so I have a copy on its way from www.bookdepository.co.uk (love their free delivery!).

To see what other craftiness has been going on this week, have a browse through kooyotoo's My Creative Space.

17 comments:

  1. Love him, I havethat book and haven't attempted one yet. This makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a fabulous job. Especially love the personalised T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous!
    especially the stitches on the hands and feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Grets I think we need to make and sell the teddy bear t-shirts!!! I have nearly finished my second sock monkey. My sisters have nearly finished their two each as well. So maybe next week's creative space I can show the 6xMcC clan grandchildren's monkeys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little elephant and the applique tshirt is perfect is adorable. He looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my son gave me that book for christmas and i love it. your elephant is divine and so well dressed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just LOVE it! I've always been curious about this book, but it looks like a great investment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought that book but hadn't used it - lovely to see the pattern come to life! I think I want to make an elephant now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That elephant is so cute! I love the book depository too - well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that elephant is unreal. WE LOVE the Book depository!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Divine! I love him and his little t'shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh he is too cute for words! Can't believed I missed this when you blogged about it! Sorry. Must be seriously behind with my blog reading! I'm going to have to put a request in for that book from the library. My soon to be 13 year old neice would adore that elephant!!
    Thanks for mentioning my sock monkey tute! Hope it made sense!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails