Thursday, September 2, 2010

My creative space: it's not about fabric!












Following all the links to the wonderful crafty people in last week's 'My Creative Space' bloggy game, I came across Megan from Mousehouse's awesome blog. Megan is a wonderful sharer of great ideas and has some neat tutorials on there. I couldn't wait to get started and spent most of the weekend on some non-fabric related crafts. It's been about 3 months since I last picked up my photos, scrapbooking stuff and paint brush because I've been so busy with the launch of lily pad d's...so thanks heaps Megan for the inspiration!




I had my heart set on the Personalised Children's Art Idea - where you overlay a photo of your child with text that acts like a time capsule and records things about them at their current age. I had a head-start because I was recently given electronic copies of my two girls' professional photos, taken when we stood in and pretended to be models for my friend's small New Zealand merino clothes business, billi tees. But I had a few technical difficulties, because unfortunately I don't have Photoshop or Pages or a specific photo/graphics programme.



Instead what I ended up doing was importing my photos into simple old Powerpoint. I've had heaps of success making home-made Christmas cards and party invites in Powerpoint, because you can position pictures and words wherever you want and move and layer things freely. You can either print straight to your printer, or save a slide as a 'jpg' and email it around. Powerpoint can't do flash things like 'white out' areas though, so instead of 'whiting out' my girls clothes like Megan does, I just positioned the text on the plain background, printed and then cut the photos to size to fit my frame. I still think it looks cool.






After that, I wanted to try to copy the idea of photo blocks, which I've seen recently on a friend's wall. These are made of images glued onto wooden MDF blocks, and are hugely expensive to be done commercially. My take on it was to buy a double set of little square canvases (from the Warehouse, for $2 for the set). I painted the sides of the canvases black, then printed the photos from a slide in Powerpoint. I'd positioned the photos how I wanted them and to the right size. Now I'm up to the stage of varnishing the photos and canvases, to give it a 'pro' look. I'd love some advice actually. Shall I use my paintbrush, or maybe a small roller?




Happy cs space everyone!









15 comments:

  1. That photo block looks good. I also really like the first one you showed with the text overlay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the descriptive words one - such a great idea!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some excellent idea's here! Especially love the photo block xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it..I wish I had the patience to work with this medium. I love taking photos but organizing them is a whole other thing. I will have to check out powerpoint... Yours is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so awesome, your girls will love to keep them when they are older too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely! It is always nice to try your hand at something different isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos look great and something special to look back on when they get older. I love the idea you used with the canvas:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful photos & such cute kids.. congratulations on both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job - the photos look wonderful!

    p.s. I love your baby alphabet shirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are looking for a Photoshop program for free, I can recommend GIMP. It can be downloaded for free and I have been able to use it with great success on photos. There are a number of tutorials available to help you along.

    Please post whether you went paintbrush or roller! I would probably go with spray on urathane because my prints would probably run since I have only an inkjet printer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are fabulous Aimee! What a treat for your kids to look back on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look awesome! I love the way you have done the personalized photos. As far as varnishing the canvas goes, I use a mat spray, it provides a permanent barrier to dirt and damp, protects the image and of course is acid free. I use the mat one, but I'm sure they do a gloss one too, it's made by Micador and I got it in Whitcouls.
    I'll second Carols suggestion of GIMP too, I suggest it to all my students who can't afford/don't want to buy Photoshop, it's easy to learn and you can do heaps with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Carol and Pam for your advice! I have asked my husband to find and download that programme. I have also been told about Paint.NET which is apparently a bit of a cross between paint and photoshop and can be downloaded free too.
    Pam - a massive thanks for noting about the acid free spray! I feel a bit silly but I hadn't even clicked that the varnish might eat off the ink of the photo. I am off to Whitcoulls today to buy the spray you recommend! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. ... you can use a spray varnish ... just test it first so you don't get spray spots ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails