Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Poll: Babies wearing black clothes, do you like it?

Black clothes for baby are now easy to find in chic baby shops, style guides, on celebrity children and even in the mall... but we would like to know what you think!

*** Note: Poll closed - results were pretty evenly split! ***

I have some tiny black shirts that will be a new colour option for me appliqued Ts, and they are so cute, but I know dressing babies (or children for that matter) in black is not for everybody...

So how do I feel about it? I confess that apart from an occasional polka dot, I have never dressed my daughter in black (and she is almost 4), but have adored it on my son from birth. And to further confuse things, I have always loved her in grey, blue denim, navy and dark purple, it is just black that I can not get my head around (and no, my mother did not like me dressing in black, even as a teenager!)

(Pic: People.com)
Of course a few years ago we wouldn't have had the luxury of choosing, as baby clothes were pink or blue, with perhaps lemon and green for unisex options. Angelina Jolie dressing her first child, Maddox, in black was unusual in 2002, but would go unnoticed now. In fact Angelina usually wears black or white herself - do you think women dress their kids in colours they wear themselves?





I do admire black on little girls sometimes as it can look very smart, and to prove I am not a complete Nana, here are some gorgeous black girls clothes (from NZ labels Warnout and five6)... I think the key is to keep it looking young and fun.




p.s. Let's not forget that in New Zealand (all) black clothing has extra significance - I think there will be quite a few babies dressed in black in 2011!

13 comments:

  1. I dressed Elijah in black - it really suits his caramel skin. I'd have no issues dressing a girl in black either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those examples you've given there are gorgeous!
    I've got no problem dressing the girls in black, though haven't really come across it much. Navy is probably the closest thing to it. When Miss E was a newborn, I found a navy babygrow for her. Loved it. V different from all the pink of everyone else!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always dressed my girls in black leggings under their skirts, or black jackets/cardigans, and black denim dresses. Always with a bright colour though and especially with red stripes. I love the 'french look' it creates. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always dressed my 3 (2 girls and a boy)in whatever I happen to like when shopping - if it has happened to be in black I haven't seen it as an issue - although my mother doesn't agree that girl's should wear black!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no no
    Can't do it in my house. All three of my girls have blonde hair and fair skin so black is only allowed on the bottom or they all look ill.
    I do loooooovvveee putting them in Navy. A wonderful option for those with skin types that don't 'do' black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if it suits why not, im lovin the grey and black stripes for kids..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never saw black baby clothes when my 10 & 7 year old boys were wee. But if I had, I would've! LOVE black on all ages :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never allowed to wear black as a child... I can still remember my mum saying "anything but black" right up until I could pay for my own clothes.

    By that stage I had a goth boyfriend and I wore nothing but black!

    I like black on babies/children, but for me it seems like a special occasion type of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mattias has a few black things ...he's got a really cute black top with a truck on it will see if I have a pic I can send you...from a funky Swedish label xxsandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't dress a baby in black just because mine throw up and that's usually white. I have nothing against the way black looks, it's just a practicality thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really don´t see any problem at all with babies and kids wearing black? Didnt even know it could be an issue? My daughter, now 1 1/2, has always been wearing black - mixed with other colours or top to toe! I personally think its cute and stylish! I say go for it! And agree with Jennie, your examples are gorgeous! Especially the little kimono, how sweet! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, just noticed my profile pic, that was NOT planned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for your feedback, very interesting and helpful! 'Love it' was the most popular response in the poll :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails