Thursday, September 29, 2011

Stool and dressing table redesign complete...






















This week I've finally completed my make-over and redesign of a second-hand white dressing table, and French-styled stool to sit in front of it.



The duo now have pride of place in the middle of my little girls' shared princess/fairytale room, and with matching shapes on their legs and decorative gold gilding, they look like a perfect match. But each were actually found seperately on trademe over a couple of months, and both were in dire need of a little TLC to bring them back to life.

A bit of elbow grease and Chux's new 'White Blocks' for white furniture removed many of the surface marks. But once I started taking apart the seat of the stool to recover it I discovered not one but three layers of fabric, and the particle board inside had been reduced to a clay-coloured crumbly powder. The whole seat had to be replaced, and so the shell of the stool sat for several weeks in that state - see this pic below! Finally, using newly-purchased MDF I traced and cut a new seat with a handsaw, and then recovered with my one of my favourite fabrics, Anna Maria Horner's ''Woodcut in Perfect''. The cream pinstripe of the fabric gives it a lovely French shabby chic look.

My girls may be a little to little to sit in front of the mirror yet and wonder who's the fairest of them all...but I tell you with Miss Five that's not far off!


To see everyone else's clever Creative Spaces this week, head over to our special group blog.









3 comments:

  1. The design is perfect -well done!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my most favourite fabrics too, looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your room too much with above beautiful dressing table and stool with great fabrics work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails