Thursday, February 2, 2012

DIY Mini quilt - Space Alphabet


I couldn't find a poster I liked with a space-themed alphabet, but I did find some fabric, so here is my son's new mini-quilt that hangs over his bed. The alphabet panel is a fat quarter (21 x 18 inches) from Spoonflower.com - in fact it was the winner of the Alphabet contest last year (other alphabet designs here).


I ordered it in cotton here, US$11 plus US$2 postage to New Zealand. Then I just bordered it with some leftover material from his robot quilt, used some light wadding in the middle and backed it with leftover binary fabric from his curtains (previous post on his bedroom here). I even did a little bit of quilting, running along some of the border lines. There are also little ribbon tags in each corner to help with hanging.


Big sister has always had this Pooh alphabet poster above her bed, and now little brother has something to look at too.


This was an easy project - I am no expert at sewing - and came out so cute (approx 67cm x 60cm). I think a fat quarter mini-quilt would be a sweet baby gift (it would be the right size for a changing mat too).

Linking up with Our Creative Spaces, a collection of makings.



Related posts:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so sweet and so clever! Love the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks fabulous!!! I was browsing Google images, looking for inspiration for the next Spoonflower contest, and came across my Space Alphabet fabric (I'm Jen/jennartdesigns, the designer of the fabric!)... I'm totally loving this! Would you mind if I linked to your post from my Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails