Sunday, January 6, 2013

Amigurumi Pencil Pattern


This might be the cutest crochet project I have done so far, and one of the easiest - small amigurumi pencils. In December I was looking for a quick teacher-thank-you gift to make and remembered these pencils from Pinterest. Unfortunately the pin no longer connects to anything and I couldn't find any information anywhere about a pattern to use or buy... so I had to make one up! In the picture above, I had figured out a pattern on my fourth attempt, the green one.


I am always looking for shortcuts (and hate changing colour) so I have kept these simple, but they would look supercute with colour changes to make an eraser on the end, or stripes, or a classic yellow pencil with black lead. They are small (about 12cm long) but I would love to make a giant one too. Like my crochet hearts last year, I made some for friends as Christmas tree ornaments  by adding a black cotton string to the top.

Please let me know if you have any questions - or if you make some!



Amigurumi Pencil (approx 12cm long)

(I used DK yarn and a 3mm hook)

Worked in the round, start with colour of the pencil body

Sc6 in a circle
Sc twice into each st (12 stitches)
*Sc1, sc twice into next st* around (18 stitches)
Sc 1 round in back loop only (18 stitches)
15 more regular rounds using both loops (18 stitches each)
*Sc 4, decrease 1 stitch* repeat 3 times (15 stitches)
Change to the neutral coloured yarn, Sc 1 round (15 stitches)
*Sc 3, decrease 1 stitch* repeat 3 times (12 stitches)
Sc 1 round (12 stitches)
Attach eyes (5mm or 6mm), embroider mouth
Stuff with fill
*Sc 2, decrease 1 stitch* repeat 3 times (9 stitches)
Change back to the coloured yarn for the pencil tip, Sc 1 round (9 stitches)
Stuff a little more (the tip doesn't need much as the stitches hold their shape)
*Sc 1, decrease 1 stitch* repeat 3 times (6 stitches)
*Sc1, skip 1 stitch* 3 times (3 stitches)
Fasten off leaving a tail, with a yarn needle use the tail to close the tip and shape with little stitches if necessary










2 comments:

  1. Clever you! So cute and a good way to use up bright scraps to yarn. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails